Saturday, September 12, 2009

Good Mom/Bad Mom

What is it that makes a "good mom"? Is it something that you do? Something that you don't do? Everybody probably has their own opinion on what makes a mom "good".  I have come to the conclusion that everyone is different with their kids around other people than they are when they are alone with their kids. Personally (and I know I'm not alone in this) I feel like a better mom when I'm out in public, my kids are fairly well behaved and I don't yell at them (as much). I guess what I'm trying to say is that we as moms want to compare ourselves among ourselves and say to ourselves "so-n-so is such a good mom, I wish I was more like her" or "she does things this way I wish I could do things that way", but maybe she is looking at you going "wow she is so this or that or the other thing" .  Another thing is that when you are feeling down on yourself or a friend is, you always want to comfort her and be like "no you are a good mom", but really how do we know what kind of mom she really is, because like I said earlier, she probably is different when she is alone with her kids. I know when I feel like I am not the greatest mom, then I need to change something I'm doing; be better. I am not beating myself up over it, I'm not looking for "Oh Martha you're such a good mom". I don't think I am a "bad" mom. I do think that I am not being the best mom I can be. As a mom we want our kids to be the best they can be, they don't have to be the best soccer player, baseball player, singer, etc... but as long as they are trying their hardest and doing their best that is all we ask from them. Is that what I give them? Do I give them my best. No I do not, I can do better, I can be better. I will be better. As soon as I figure out how. I think that most moms have a problem taking "me time" I do not have this problem, I get plenty of this. I need to have more "them time", play with them more, do crafts with them more, take time to do the things that they want to do, with them. And no, going over Judah's spelling, vocab and whatever test he is studying for that week does not count as quality time with him. This week I am going to play with Avrah and the babies more, turn the tv and the computers off and really spend time with them. What can you do this week to be a better? 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...